Saturday, April 11, 2020

MPM, Gloster Meteor Mk I, 1/72, Kit No. 72567


This is the first and only Allied jet to enter operational serve e during WWII.  Clearly the British were miles ahead of the USA in jet  engine creation and manufacture.  The first American jets were powered with British engines.  While there was no jet-to-jet combat in WWII where the Meteor went up against the ME262, the Meteor Mk I effectively pursued and downed V-1 missiles over England.  There were teething problems to be sure, such as the cannons not being reliable and freezing at the wrong moment.  But the Meteor throughout its operational life proved to be a rugged, reliable and versatile aircraft.  Meteors downed Mig-15’s during the Korean War, and the Martin Baker Co. still has one flying as a testbed for new ejection seats.

If you want a Gloster Meteor Mk I in 1/72nd scale in your collection, this appears to be the only game in town for a readily available kit.  It is another product of Central Europe’s plastic kit powerhouse - the Czech Republic.

I do not know what the relationship is between MPM and Special Hobbies but they appear to be one and the same company, either through a name change or a merger.

According to Scalemates.com, the kit first appeared in 2006 as a Mk 9 Meteor.  This release was in 2011, and the kit includes many parts for other versions.  Releasing the Mk I was clearly an afterthought as many other marks were released first.

I found the part fit challenging in places, particularly the canopy.  As the kit fuselage was originally designed for later model canopy configurations, the Mk I canopy with its flat windshield was molded with a lip sticking out to cover that area of the fuselage that would be covered by the canopy in later marks.  I had the devil of a time trying to get it to fit, and I was not that successful. Once I broke the canopy on a 1/72nd model trying to make it fit, and I have since been very careful handling them.  As always, I blame myself and do not try to shift the blame to the manufacturer.  More skillful modelers have undoubtedly made it fit.

The each landing gear is made up of several parts that are a challenge to fit together correctly.  Instead of a straight oleo leg, the Brits designed the landing gear to flex at a knee joint.  I am no engineer, but this looked like another piece of British design that turned a 5 cent problem into a 50 cent solution.

Speaking of landing gear, I added 26 grams of lead birdshot in the nose and the engine nacelles to allow the model to sit on the landing gear.  The shot is placed in a convenient cavity (created with plastic card bulkheads where needed).  Then I pour Elmer’s wood glue over it to fix it in place as a single lump.  Never fails.

Main Colors Used (Vallejo Model Air):
    71.097  Base Grey (used for Dark Grey)
    71.022  Camouflage Green (used for Dark Green)
    71.049  Medium Sea Grey
    71.103  Grey (used for Sky)

Pros

Excellent subject.

Very nice decals for four versions, thin and easy to apply.

Cons
Fit could be better.

Cockpit could have been more detailed.

Mainer landing gear parts.  I am now using Tamiya Cement in most places I once used CA.  Given time to set and dry, this cement is very effective at keeping small parts fixed.

The lead shot is held in place by plastic card bulkheads I made along with Elmer's glue.










No comments:

Post a Comment