Monday, February 15, 2016

Revell-Monogram B-25J Mitchell – WIP Part 4

Before I wax eloquent ever again about the pleasures of building one of these old kits, I shall remember how much sanding, filing and filling is necessary to complete them.  I am now wondering about that Monogram B-24D in my stash.  To be frank, the problem for me is that the time I might have spent on more detailing, weathering, etc. is being used up just making it all fit together.  Maybe I am a modeler in too much of a rush.  That may be the case. 

All that  being said, I am grateful this kit is still available.  There is nothing like it in 1/48th scale if you want a J model.  I would love to tackle the HK Models B-25J, except, I would need to buy a bigger house.  There are limits. 

I find that if I stop a project by removing it from the bench so I can build something else, the chances it will ever return to the bench to be finished are slim to none.  The bench may sit there with the model on it while “life” takes me elsewhere for other things.  That is fine.  As MacArthur said, “I shall return.”
Also, I find that if I do something everyday, no matter how small a thing that is, the project will keep going.  Although I am longingly looking at a Revell 1/35th scale T-34/76 (Model 1943) that I picked up on a whim and am aching to start on, the B-25 must “take off” first.  (I did some armor models twenty years ago, but sold all in my armor stash when I moved to the Southwest. I have always had an interest in armor.  When I was in the Army, I was stationed for a time with the 1st Armored Division “Old Ironsides” at Ft. Hood, and I was always fascinated watching the armored vehicles.)

Here are some update photos:

I am cleaning up small parts and priming them now.  I use Vallejo Acrylic-Polyurethane Surface Primer on almost everything.  It provides an even base coat, and if I use masking tape on it, it never lifts.  I have done maybe ten models with it that were masked with Tamiya and regular masking tape, and not one smidgen of paint has lifted.  This primer really sticks to plastic, and any paint you cover it with (acrylic or enamel) sticks to it.  So, it is happy masking.

The fuselage seam has been filled and sanded, and I sprayed surface primer lightly on the seam to see if there are some spots requiring more attention.  I use Squadron White and Green Putties. 

The fit of the nacelles to the wings was approximate.  Quite a bit of work was needed there.  However, since failing to do that would have left some prominent seams, the work was called for and I think will be rewarded in the finished product.

The fit of the fuselage halves just behind the cockpit was not the best, but some putty has taken care of that.  I think the canopy will allow the interior of the cockpit to be seen clearly.  And with the forward bottom hatch open, there may even be some light coming up from below.  With all of the windows and hatches in this model, more of the interior will be viewable than I originally thought.


In the next installment, I think the flying surfaces will be in  place, and we will be thinking about the paint shop for this one.