Saturday, October 8, 2016

Tamiya M4A3E8 Sherman “Easy Eight” European Theater 1/35 Scale





This is a fairly new kit, and therefore is state-of-the-art.  The part fit is near perfect, the moldings are all crisp and clean, and there is no discernible flash to deal with.  The treads are so-called rubber band.  The molding pin ejector marks are out of sight.  It is a joy to build.  (I did use some weathering but did not add any after-market parts, as it looks fine just the way it is.) 

I finished it with Vallejo Surface Primer and Vallejo Model Air Olive Drab.  The “Air” does not refer to aircraft.  It means that the paint is intended for airbrush use.  The Vallejo Model Color paints are for brushing.  Both types can be brushed on with good results, and both types can be airbrushed.  I just find that Model Color paints require more thinner.  I get good results with Vallejo’s own airbrush thinner.

The model has the markings of a 4th Armored Division Sherman at Bastogne in January 1945.  The turret stars are blacked out to aid in concealment, I assume.  As you can see, there are nothing more than the stars.  No unit or vehicle number markings are provided.  Who knows?  Maybe they had been painted over for some reason.  I cannot imagine that during the Battle of the Bulge anyone was running around looking for unit numbers.

One other point.  I paint U. S. pioneer tools the same color as the vehicle, i.e., olive drab.  During my 3 years in the U. S. Army, including a year with the 1st Armored Division, all I ever saw were these tools painted o.d.  I am assuming that was the practice during WWII.





I really liked this kit, as assembling it went so smoothly.  It is highly recommended to anyone interested in WWII armor.














No comments:

Post a Comment